Search This Blog

Math Cloud

Math Cloud
Thoughts on Elementary Math

Monday, July 18, 2011

Estimation Frustration - 1510

I have never been good at estimating. I can never seem to accurately estimate distance, time, amounts, ANYTHING - and I get a lot of flack from my husband about it since he often asks for my guesses about stuff! In my frustration over estimation, I have decided to seek out some websites that offer information on the topic. In checking into these I have learned that estimation is not as hard as I make it out to be! Check out the following websites to understand estimation a little bit better (and to play some fun estimation games):

Math is Fun - Estimation  (This is one of my favorite sites ever!)
Math is Fun - Estimation Games
Estimation and Rounding (There are 4 steps, so make sure to check them all out!)
Gamequarium Estimation Games

I feel much more confident in my estimation skills after looking at these websites. As a future teacher, I understand the importance of this skill and I am so happy to know that there are so many resources out there. There are also so many games! The estimation games are where I really felt like I was learning. I am a visual learner, so to see math is very helpful to me.

Another thing I want to mention about estimation is how useful it really is in life. As frustrated as I was with it, I thought, "There's no need to know this or be able to do it well, anyway!", but I was wrong. Like I mentioned before, my husband often asks me to take a guess at stuff, or I find myself wondering how much I think the grocery bill will be while I'm in the store.  You can use it to figure out how much of something you need for a party, or how to divide something up amongst a group of people. Estimation can be used at work, at home, at school, or even in leisure time and it's something that comes in very handy when you don't have a calculator or the math skills to perform a difficult calculation!

No comments:

Post a Comment