Search This Blog

Math Cloud

Math Cloud
Thoughts on Elementary Math

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Expanded Notation - 1510

Expanded notation keeps bugging me! As many times as I've worked through doing this, I still struggle with it, especially if it comes up on a test. I can't keep it in my mind. I think that I get confused because the power of 10 doesn't correspond with the number of places there are in the number, and that's because the final power of 10 is ZERO, not one.

So, I think that it might help me (and you) to remember how to write a number in expanded notation if you start from the ones place and write it out backwards. For example, to write 358 in expanded notation, I would start with 8 and multiply by 10 to the 0 power, then move on to 5, then 3. The trick to this is to remember to write it out right to left, not left to right or you will have the wrong number!

This video also give a good explanation if my way is too confusing:

Even though this concept has given me trouble as of recently, I think these tips and tricks will help me remember how to do it when it comes to something like a test where I don't have a book or resources to reference and have to rely on my own mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment