Search This Blog

Math Cloud

Math Cloud
Thoughts on Elementary Math

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ugh....Geometry - 1512

Geometry is another area that has been daunting to me all of my life. I don't like angles, I don't like the Pythagorean Theorem, I don't like calculating area and all of that other stuff that goes along with geometry. Coming upon geometry in this class really bummed me out, although I knew it was going to come eventually. . Here are some tips and tricks I have come up with that have helped me through geometry (and really ALL math problems):

Slow down - if you try to rush through it just to get it out of the way, you'll end up stressing yourself out even more.

Read the problem and reread it again - sometimes I find that I don't know what the problem is asking me or what to do because I didn't read the problem correctly to begin with!

Consult a resource - this could be a friend, the Internet, a teacher or a spouse, anyone who may know more about the subject or topic at hand than you do.

Try, try again - don't give up if you can't come up with the right answer. Keep trying because eventually you will get it and when you do, it will make you confident for the next problems.

The Internet offers so much information and videos and tutorials for anything geometry related. One thing that really gets me sometimes is the Pythagorean Theorem. Here is a YouTube video that helped me "get" this concept a little bit better:

No comments:

Post a Comment